Sunday, January 28, 2007

Signs and symptoms that I am officially an adult.



SOURCE :Lars Klove for The New York Times



I officially have proof that I, yes I, have reached adulthood. Its and odd thing that I was not prepared for. It started with being in a store that the music was entirely TOO loud and the sales people were entirely TOO young, and I had a flash of myself in the mirror thinking, "I don't belong here" and damn the clothes at ANN TAYLOR LOFT look so cute for work. Who am I? And then I started to think.... All of the party invitations I get these days come with self-addressed stamped envelopes that require that I RSVP and instead of BYOB I get to purchase something at Bed Bath and Beyond. Huh? We're not in Kansas anymore Toto. THEN, I saw a commercial for a sink disposal system AND I WANTED IT. What? I'm sorry. When did this happen to me. I am coveting mattresses and washing machines and refrigerators. Huh? OK. Odd. And the last thing, that possibly threw me over the edge, was a commercial. Remember when you were a kid and you would see a comical for a compilation album (now CD) and you would not know a single song. I KNEW EVERY SONG. AND I SANG ALONG. So, the first step is admitting it. I am admitting it. I am a grown up. I use undereye cream. I save money. I pay my bills. I have renters and pet insurance. I think about winning the lottery to put it away for retirement. Its official. I am willing to admit it and turn it over. I AM NOW A GROWN UP.

1 comment:

Bean said...

Welcome